Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Canada's Pride and Gold

Canada FlagAs I called my Dad last night to say my birthday wishes personally, Canada was facing off against Sweden in the junior hockey world championships. Kidlet was perched in front of the TV, snacks in hand, waving me into the other room to talk. I wasn't in there a minute when I heard her squeals and cheers. (Was there really only one kidlet in there??) Canada had already scored a goal and I was barely through the first pleasantries of my call. Dad watched the game from Florida, probably out in his lanai, with the TV volume turned down as he chatted with me.

We talked for over an hour as if I were sitting in his lanai with him. When I hung up Kidlet accused me of making him miss the big game. She couldn't buy that he would prefer a birthday call over a championship hockey game.

Much to our delight the young Canadians dug deep and brought home the gold for the fifth time in a row. I am not sure why hockey stirs up our Canadian pride but the sight of the over sized Canadian flag being passed around the stadium in Ottawa could bring a tear to a glass eye. We Canadians tend to be somewhat reserved - and not such flag wavers as our neighbours to the south. If we need a reason to wave our flag -- the win last night game us a golden one! AT the risk of bragging -- I say -- in a not too reserved way -- way to play Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment