Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canadian Deep Freeze

In keeping with Canadian tradition - I will complain marvel at the weather. It was darn cold today and when I left for work at 6:30 am, the plunging -22 degree Celsius temperatures had my car seat frozen rock hard. I was grateful when Benzie started without so much as a hesitation and I gave a silent prayer of thanks for having upgraded to those nifty seat warmers. I turned on the radio and listened to the morning show hosts comment and jest about the cold. We Canadians really talk about the weather alot!

To my surprise, my windows were still frozen shut after half an hour in the car and I had to step out of the car to grab my coffee in the Tim Horton's drive thru. (Embarrassed - I give a quick wave to the other cars behind me in the lineup.) I thought of those who are not fortunate enough to have a warm place to lay their head or even escape to for respite from the freeze. Lucky me! As the day wore on the added element of blowing snow doubled the time to drive home. Thank goodness for Satellite radio - 70's on the 7. I was so cold when I got home I kicked it up a notch - foregoing flannel for the fleece PJs. Cosy! All night the news shows and channels discussed the freezing cold temperatures; a parade of images of people bundled up and disguised against the cold. Poor Winnipeg was -49C; Ottawa was -23C. At least we warmed up to -11C!

Fritz the schnauzer doesn't seem to mind the cold. If it is raining - he refuses to go out no matter how much he has to relieve himself. But no matter how cold, he barks to go out, and once released, he trots like a prince around his maze of paths that hubby shovelled for him in the back yard. At least there is one contented Canadian.

Someone at work commented how we Canadians always talk about the weather - just after we had spent 20 minutes discussing the cold weather and how it is even too cold for your nose to run in these sub zero temps).

In the summer:
It's so humid and sticky.
This rain is relentless.
We haven't had a nice weekend all summer.

In the fall:
Did you hear that wind? I thought we were going to lose our tree??
I can't remember it getting so damp and cold so soon.
You can smell winter in the air.

In the winter:
Too much to mention.

In the spring:
Can you believe this rain? It feels like we are in England.
When is the snow going to melt?
I can't wait for summer!

But right now -- we are in a deep freeze and it hurts to smile. Now where did I stash those fleece lined jeans....

2 comments:

  1. From my Canadian schnauzer (Frasier) to yours, I'm super-glad you wrote about this. I rather like how the weather - especially winter weather - occasionally dominates our days. I think it builds us character, and gives us another reason to love being here.

    Just got back from a very quick walk with the dog. I always try to stretch his walks - you know the whole energy management challenge with this breed! - but not now. For the first time since we rescued him, I'm rushing him through his walks because I worry he'll freeze his little ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person read from Canada to mention smiles hurting in the cold!
    It's been bad down here in New England too- Don't forget the scarf over the face. I'll even wrap a flannel shirt up as a scarf when needed-

    ReplyDelete