Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pain in the Backside

The weather the past few days has been sketchy at best – raining, slushy, icy, freezing rain. You get the picture. Last night, while I sat waiting for a red light to change I got rear ended. It happened so quickly. I have never been involved in an accident - and had no idea what to do. I handled it badly – or maybe I should say – I didn’t handle it at all. I was so concerned that this older man’s car was mashed up and that he seemed distraught that I barely looked at my car, and instead busied myself with helping him collect all of the scattered pieces of this bumper and grill. My bumper looked scraped with a little dent but it was hard to see in the dark.

I handled it poorly:
  • He didn’t want to put it through his insurance so I didn't even get any of his insurance info

  • I asked to see his driver’s license but only wrote down his name and address

  • My pen didn’t work and I only had a credit card receipt to write on

  • I helped him remove the evidence

  • I could have documented the scene with the digital camera I always have with me

  • I didn’t make one call

After the accident I continued on to the mall to do my errands. When I got home, Kidlet (who is in driver’s training) briefed me on the proper procedure – so I would know for the next time. Lesson learned.

How embarrassing is that?? Anyway, this whole thing is just one big pain in the backside – for me and Benzie (my car)!

No comments:

Post a Comment