Monday, January 26, 2009

Precious Connections

Just got off the phone with my Pops (in Florida). We spent a good hour catching up on politics (American and Canadian), the economy, the state of the various arms of the family, the weather (hey – we’re Canadian), and just having a good life chat. We do this usually twice a week. And some may wonder what we could possibly find to talk about for so long, and so frequently. I wonder sometimes myself how we do it. But it comes down to making and keeping connections. As we chatted tonight we agreed that most people have a need to know they matter and what they mean to others. Expressing these sentiments to one another can be powerful and life changing, especially for the person hearing them.

I have many people I maintain connections with – mostly because I am fortunate enough to have many who I love, and who in turn love me. Sometimes I spend an entire night on the phone with Pops, my daughters, my aunt or even MIH. It is time well spent. Of course my family are avid techie communicators … we all have Facebook profiles, as well as a family website. We readily share pictures and stories and I daresay that our family “lines” of communication rival CNN for speed, currency and accuracy.

For me, reaching out is an investment in relationships - family and friends. Speaking of connections, I recently made a very special one with a cousin of mine who I have never met. She lives on the other side of the country and yet, through the magic of technology, we are able to share stories, photos and information and get to know one another. This could never have happened 20 years ago … I think she even reads this blog on occasion. My ever-expanding circle of loved ones has become more important to me with each passing year. Each connection is a fragile, strand of precious silk that needs nurturing. Without our connections to loved ones, and sharing the human experience – what else is there?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Lyn. Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight. That salad you make sounds really good.

    I liked this post. I used to call my parents just to talk, when they were alive. Now I call my MIL every single Sunday at a certain time.

    ReplyDelete