Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ode to Fleece

It's been a weekend of out of town girls' hockey, frigid arenas with no heat and blowing, snowy drives. As parents debate the virtues of watching the game from the warmth of the restaurant-with-a-view, the outside viewing galley or standing rink side (for optimal informal coaching), I smile to myself - for I have my secret weapon: my fleece-lined jeans! Sure, they add a few pounds and make me appear a little fluffier, but they are a dream to wear on those wooden arena benches. Definitely not suitable for clubbing. That thin layer of cosy, soft comfort against my skin, harbouring every bit of warmth generated creates a heavenly barrier for the derriere!Cosy is the name of the game and anything that makes an hour and a half game more bearable enjoyable is mint!

It got me thinking about fleece and the person who invented it. He/she are single handedly responsible for bringing instant comfort to millions around the world. Their handiwork is evidenced everywhere ... hockey moms huddled on benches swaddled in fleece blankets; dads in fleece jerseys, and kids wearing mittens and hats cut from the same fuzzy cloth. As for me, I defrost after a game in my fleece PJs. Yup -- fleece is the new flannel.

I don't know who I can thank for this wonderful invention but if I could nominate them for some kind of Nobel prize, I surely would - for I'll never be cold again (at least not in an arena).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lyn, as an an extra bonus, some, if not all, fleece is made from recycled plastic bottles, so its good for the environment too, but not the campfire!!
    cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fleece fan, too. Have you tried fleece socks? THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Ann and Cuz. It is great to think that something so good can from from post consumer waste. And yes Ann - I have a pair of those fleece socks myself. Sooo cosy - but not fire retardent! : )

    ReplyDelete