Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Have My Cake!

Today is my birthday - marking yet another year well lived. Corny as it may sound, I have grown to regard each year as a gift. There are no guarantees. We humans don't come with a 100 year warranty, we just live as though we have a hundred years to squander. When my mother was gravely ill, living with the knowledge that she probably wouldn't live to grow old, she warned me that her and I weren't much different -- that she just had more information. There was nothing to say that I couldn't go before her ... but of course that didn't happen.

I feel fortunate to have lived the years I have - the joy, the pain - the whole damn thing. I have lived fully, in the moment, encased in a cocoon of love. Some of which I have spun myself, and some of which has been generously bestowed upon me.

I get reflective on my birthday (why should today be any different?) ... my heart sings praises for the love of a family I have grown up with and shared my life; my daughters who continue to astound me and teach me; my handful of trusted, dear friends (my chosen family) who love me just the way I am; and the laughs, teasing and caring of my work family (who I spend as much time with as anyone). I have been blessed to find someone to live in love with, who shares the dream of growing old together. That isn't exactly fair though, cause I have a big head start on him! My in-laws are icing on the cake - my loving and supportive extended family. Can't forget to include the unconditional love and wet kisses of my four legged, furry friend Fritz.

I believe that we choose the souls who will accompany us on our journey - some for a season, some for a reason and some for the duration. I have chosen well.

Of course, like any delectable treat, I crave many more years to live out my long list of dreams ... but I can say with all honesty that if this were my very last year, my life is beautiful and I am satisfied and grateful.

Happy Birthday to Me! It already is!


P.S. I have to thank my fun lovin, over-the-top MIH for the crazy number of bd cards she sent me. Every day I came home to LOTS of mail to open - all beautiful, thoughtful, funny (just like her) cards. She was trying to show me wow-love and she did! Thank you ...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Lynda! Sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little late- but Happy Birthday! Definitely sounds like it was filled with lots of love and tons of memorable moments, just as it should have been.

    ReplyDelete

I've made it easier to comment - no nasty word verification. So let me know you dropped by.