Sunday, March 22, 2009

Season of Renewal

Spring is in the atmosphere. It is still in disguise but with every deep inhale you could smell it in the fresh, cool air. I threw open all the windows to let the outside in. The sun broke out in the afternoon and lured us out of our house. We took the dog for a walk in the forest near our home and although the sky was a deepest hue of blue and the sun was brilliant in the sky, the ground and tree branches were dry, bare and tones of dismal. We soldiered on through the soft mushy ground carpeted with last year's leaves, carefully steering Fritz around the open mud puddles.

We strolled leisurely, soaking up every ray of sunshine and when I looked very closely, I was able to find hints of spring; those first few tender shoots of crocuses breaking through the soil. The Christmas cactus in our living room that blooms at Christmas and Easter boasted its first fuschia flower today. A sign of good things to come.

Springtime, with its promise of renewal and prelude to summer has always been one of my favourite seasons. In fact, both seasons of transition (autumn and spring) are my favourite. I suppose this is fitting as it reflects the beauty in the journey and I have always favoured the journey over the destination. I also find change exciting. New possibilities. The feeling that anything can happen.

Renewed and joyful too!


Spring shooting through ...



3 comments:

  1. Count me in for Spring and Autumn, too, away from the extremes of hot and cold at other times of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love spring for its reminder of a time of renewal and new beginnings. Out west, although spring has officially just begun, our crocuses are done, daffodils are up and tulips are soon to follow ... just bragging ... a little :)
    cuz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Spring is always a reminder that the newness is just around the corner- sigh, I'm awaiting that newness with open arms.

    ReplyDelete