Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dinner Date

I'm a little damp, fresh back from my trip into the city. I met J - my friend of 36 years - for dinner at a quaint little Italian cafe. It poured the entire drive and as I wrestled with my mini microscopic umbrella and walked from the parking lot to the restaurant, it seemed to come down even harder. [reminder to self: get a new umbrella]

I was a little fatigued all day and I wasn't sure I had the energy to go out after work. [don't worry, it wasn't swine flu] But once the day was done, and I was on my way, my second wind arrived and the thought of seeing my friend buoyed my spirits. Friendship is good medicine - cures what ails us.

She had ordered the wine and was casually sipping away when I arrived late. We laughed at the fact that once again she had let her cell phone battery die down hence I hadn't been able to let her know that I was parked on the highway behind one of several accidents.

The chatter was constant; the atmosphere warm and easy; the recognition unmistakable and the bond eternal. We're those same two little girls giggling across the lunchroom tables, finishing one another's sentences.

I'm not exactly sure why I've been privileged with this kindred spirit to accompany me on my life's journey ... in fact, I have been blessed with a special handful. But in the absence of answers I simply try to deserve the special people in my life; to honour them by appreciating their presence. They are the fragrant blossoms in my garden ... my beautiful garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment