Sunday, April 5, 2009

Getting & Giving ... or Sharing & Caring

Rolling around my head ... thoughts about materialism, consumerism and all sorts of 'isms'. Not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the economic downturn or maybe in my wise middle age I am taking more time to pause and reflect on what I have experienced, and what I see.

Why do we hold that which we have so tightly and then continue to accumulate even more ... so much more than we need? How much is enough? Why is it so hard for us to let go ... and give?

I can't understand why companies and owners, once they reach profitability, resist sharing the wealth with the very people who generate it? Why is it all about making the most they can make, instead making enough and then sharing the rest. Shouldn't the dollar we pursue be the solution or the answer to the question ... "I want/need this money SO THAT" . . . I think we forget WHY we are pursuing wealth; and sadly we live in a society that is wired to recognize success in money signs and decimals, and not in deeds and contributions.

Since Kidlet has returned from her Costa Rica trip where she had her heart and mind opened to greater possibilities, I can see her struggling to make sense of things ... to find meaning in her daily life. We were having a life chat this evening and we were discussing this very topic. She showed me this wonderful website, TOMS Shoes. This company produces funky, casual shoes and for every pair they sell, they donate a pair to a needy child . One for one. They are a shining example of making a difference while still having a profitable business. Kidlet made a profound comment; she said she thinks she could start a business that could be profitable -- and in more ways that are merely financial.

I long to find my way of giving back; to dedicate a piece of myself to the greater good and humanity. I think Kidlet is reminding me about something I had pushed to the back shelf ...

Life is funny like that. She sends little reminders in unexpected ways. We just have to pay attention ... Thank you Kidlet.

1 comment:

  1. I love TOMS shoes! They are fantastically comfortable too. :)

    I also love those simple and still reminders.

    ReplyDelete