Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Getting into Gear

Well winter -- you finally showed up...  finally.

As I drove to work this morning, at zero degrees Celsius it occurred to me that winter was stuck in neutral. It was mid December and there was no traction - no snow; no wintry ambiance; just England weather -- gray and damp.

I'm getting impatient. Green Christmas' make me blue (just a little). I took Kidlet to hockey in the city tonight and as we drove in, I could see the temperature steadily dropping. On the drive home we ran into black ice - a real adventure on a 5 laned highway. We picked the least travelled lane, kicked Benzie into 4 wheel drive and resisted all urges to brake. An abrupt segue into full blown winter!

When we pulled into the driveway - blanketed in a few inches of the white stuff, and minus 5 temperatures, I gave a silent apology ... winter is in low gear ... but gaining momentum.

2 comments:

  1. Although where I live snow isn't a guarantee on the holidays, or ever really, it's something I miss a lot. We've had a mild December so far, but today was a bit chilly at freezing. My fiance is moving here from Honduras and he has no idea what cold is - I can't wait to see his reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow, winter and your family checking in.. sounds pretty perfect to me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete