Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hour of No Power

So tonight at 8:30 my house will glow from the flickering of candles; the television will be dark and silent; computers will be turned off and hubby and I will sit in the dark to observe Earth Hour. Not really. It will be romantically dim with no distractions. I figure we can make like pioneers and amuse one another without technical intervention.

I may even pour a glass of cold wine - that would be fitting and celebratory. I enjoyed this hour last year. It was a jolt to realize just how much background noise we get from our electrical gadgets and much we depend on them for entertainment. I am looking forward to an hour without power and the peace - and romance- it will bring.

Happy Earth Hour everyone.

You may also enjoy, Do it in the Dark for Earth Hour

3 comments:

  1. So I didn't quite mange the whole hour there wasn't anyone to talk to and nothing to do in the dark, but hey I'll do better next year and go for the whole hour!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandy -- it's a start! Next year you just have to find someone to spend the hour with you - in the dark! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how much we have come to rely upon our electronics! But so wonderful to set aside time for natural solitude and quiet! Lovely! Love you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete