Friday, April 16, 2010

Something to Sip About

What is it about the perfect cup of steaming tea that calms a ruffled soul or puts the finishing touch on a good meal? After I get home from work and swap my work duds for something loose and flannel, the first thing I do is put the kettle on. It's a reflex. It's required. It's both a want and a need.

When I was in college, the ceramic teapot warming on the back burner was a constant and a comfort and  cheap. I have since then stopped heating my tea once it's steeped - I don't like the taste of smell of the tannins. Instead the water is boiled, the pot warmed and the tea steeped for three minutes. And then I have to drink it while it is steaming hot. Warm tea is not an option and is used to water the plants.

Maybe it's the taste, or maybe it's the soothing heat that radiates from wrapping my hands around my oversized mug - whatever the draw, a cup of tea is an essential part of my relaxation ritual.

So on this Friday night, after a busy week and ditching a cold, I am getting acquainted with my newest cup of tea. Me and my tea. The perfect end to a long week.

3 comments:

  1. You've described it so well Lyn. I do the same although some nights i have a glass of wine instead. I have been a tea drinker for most of my life too, I can't live without it!
    and THANK GOD it's Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. running to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. exhale.

    Enjoy your weekend. one love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you ... fresh hot tea (weak) is my perfect soother :)
    cuz

    ReplyDelete