Sunday, November 7, 2010

Falling Back

This is one of my favourite days of the year ... the day after we roll the clocks back and steal and extra hour from Father Time. What a difference an hour makes! Suddenly the day expands to include extra precious minutes to do whatever my heart desires. It's a gift - unaccounted for and off the grid. Even better, we forgot to turn back the clocks last night so it was only after we were up puttering around that we realized that it was actually an hour earlier. Sweet.

Last night we had our girls with us as we celebrated the engagement of my sister in law. Everyone was gussied up and struttin' their stuff as they navigated around their new acquaintances. The families of the bride and groom-to-be were meeting for the first time. MIH and I broke from the pack, took the plunge and sat at the opposite end of the table to get to know the other family. I was seated beside MIH and the sweet little 83 year old grandma of the groom. Grandma was a dear white haired little lady dressed in a smart outfit with a string of pearls. She had us in stitches when she turned to me, raised her middle finger and whispered "what does this mean?". I told her that it was a way of summoning the waiter. It was a fun night.

So today after Harmony and I celebrated her birthday over scrambled eggs and home fries, I took Fritz on a photo shoot through the woods. The air was fresh and cool and Sunday lived up to its name. It was like Fall's last stand before he takes leave and Winter comes knocking.

It was a glorious weekend and those extra 60 precious minutes made it simply the best.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like a scuffle through those golden leaves! And you have some golden memories to go with them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude Lyn, your words are so sweet and comfy. And i love that photo too!

    enjoy your week ahead! and that extra hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this photo is spectacular!!! Just the kind I would LOVE to paint...that shadow from the fence is beautiful! What a lovely reflective post as well!! Just wanted to say "hello," and to let you know you are in my thoughts! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete