Monday, March 28, 2011

Uninviting Invitation

You know how it goes in the days leading up to your birthday ... lots of fun dinners with friends, cards in the mail, early treats from well organized keeners.  So needless to say, I've been enjoying the birthday season, forging  fearlessly into the murky waters, yonder past 50 with barely a sideways glimpse into the mirror (ignorance is bliss at this stage).

You can imagine my heightened anticipation at the tidy stack of mail waiting for me when I got home. In amongst the letter from the phone company making a last ditch plea to get me back (I switched our phone to cable) and the fundraising mailer for West Africa was a plain, simple envelope addressed to me. It was an invitation ... to get screened for colorectal cancer. An invite for a colonoscopy to celebrate becoming 51. They know how to put a crinkle in an aging gal's cupcake. Cold water on the face wake up call. Priorities shift from parties to polyps; from calling on friends to colonoscopies; from head on to a$$ backwards.

So now all I have to do is RSVP! This is definitely one I'd love to take a pass on ...   

1 comment:

  1. Haha. It's like they're trying to make it sound spiffy with the "You're invited..." Can't blame you for wanting to skip out -- that does NOT sound like a birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete