Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Democracy in Action

How is it that four years have passed since that historical victory for hope -- Barak Obama? And even though I am Canadian; even though I watched him fall short of expectation as he faced obstacles of mammoth proportion; I find myself once again on my couch perched in front of my television as I watch  election returns dance across the screen, my chest tightening with every result as if I carried an American passport.

Democracy in America is not easy it would seem with some states reporting endless lineups and erroneous voting machinery. We can put a man on the moon and beam signals to remote regions of the planet but somehow, we  can't make voting easy. Shame on the powers that be for making voting an act of heroism and endurance. My heart goes out to those who are trying earnestly to exercise their democratic right to vote for the leader of their country.

As for me - I am hoping that the President will have the gift of a second term to finish what he started, without the cloud of re-election hovering.
-------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't go to sleep without finding out the outcome of the election, and thankfully, I will slumber peacefully, content in the knowledge that Obama has a second chance.

During this - Veteran's Week - we are reminded that the sacrifices were high to preserve our democracy. And for that, I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Lyn..Your post was right on. Living here where the lines were up to 6 hours long tell how determined the voters were. Obama had dedicated workers who encouraged everyone to hold the line and vote. People went to the lines with chairs, food and encouragement. Many left after 3 or 4 hours...how sad. Our faith in democracy was held in high regard for the sterling efforts to fulfill their right. Well written.

    ReplyDelete