Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Give a Little Loan and Donation

Back on track, starting a new year aspiring to give a little every week. I've learned that

  • something is better than nothing; 
  • lots of "little" add up to "big"; and 
  • I can always spare a dime. 
I blog about it to raise awareness of the "give a little" movement and to hopefully inspire others to dig  down deep into the couch to rustle up some change to donate a little too.

I kicked off 2013 by funding a new Kiva loan, micro loans for people who may not otherwise have access to credit - one of my favourite initiatives. I am trying to get more balance in my loans. I used to only sponsor women simply because women are more likely to be denied credit. But then I realized that there are also many men who are single parents, or are trying to support families in dire circumstances. My Kiva loans are now distributed to 30% male / 70% female. I also expanded geographically, now extending loans to people in 14 different countries.

This week I chose to support actress Kristen Bell's Crowdrise fundraiser for the Somaly Mam Foundation to help end human trafficking. Somaly herself is a survivor of sexual slavery and has dedicated her life to saving victims, building shelters and programs for healing, and empowering survivors to become agents of change. Each night when I climb into my big, warm, comfy covers I count my blessings knowing that at the exact same moment, there are girls and women around the world enduring horrific violence. Somaly Mam reminds me that I too can play a part, albeit small, in helping her save these precious souls.

Have ideas to help me in my weekly quest? Do share, please!

Read about my weekly Give a Little challenge and other posts. I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Consider giving it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment