Thursday, January 2, 2014

Seasonal Cold and Bright Spots

Kicking off the new year with a cold that erupted spontaneously and has me sneezing with such power and vigor that I'm sure they are registering on the Richter scale. Perfect opportunity to stay couchside and catch up on reading - books and blogs - and testing the strength of my high-end lotion filled-tissue.

It snowed most of the day and the temps were minus 30; if I had known I was going to end up sick I would have forfeited the shower and stayed in my pj's all day. I love those rare occasions of guilt free relaxation, when you can do whatever - or nothing - your little heart desires, and the kettles boils up copious cups of tea.

The empty crates stand stacked in the living room in the off chance I get the urge to deconstruct Christmas. No such urge transpired. However our beefy balsam fir is showing signs of dehydration so it's got to happen soon.

Through my watery eyes and cold misery I can still see bright spots to look forward to. I had a SKYPE call with Oliver, one of the directors of Good Hope the other night and from the first moment I heard her sing song voice saying my name, my heart felt lighter. The Internet connection wasn't the best however we managed to have a brief conversation and I was able to ask about the kids. This ongoing relationship with my Tanzanian friends is something I am going to enjoy this coming year.

And the journey to find a new home with acreage will continue, but we are in no rush. We'll enjoy the process of fixing up our house (replacing the 22 year old carpeting) so we are ready when our new home finds us (it'll have to be close enough to my family and work). One of my three amiga friends is turning 50 this year so a celebratory girls' trip will be in order. Hurry up and decide Adventure Girl.

So much to look forward to, lots to anticipate -- like this next sneeze. Fritz - pass the Kleenex!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better soon! Sending hugs your way :)
    'Jen

    ReplyDelete