Thursday, August 14, 2008

Me to We .. I hope!

Had a call last night from my youngest daughter Kidlet who is away for a week at the leadership academy run by the Free the Children organization. At 16, Kidlet is an intelligent, thoughtful and intuitive young woman who has always carried big dreams in her heart. Simply put -- she is special. At 16 she is also in the prime of teenage-hood and all the drama that goes with it. I had hoped that this camp would be help her set her compass and be the life changing experience that I knew it could be.

Eureka! Kidlet called me last night - which in itself is a surprise. Her voice on the phone was calm and when I asked her how it was going (after three and half days), she responded that " it was the sickest experience ever . No words for it ..." Parents of teenagers know that " sick" is "great" ... as I keep explaining to my father. She said she knows what she has to do with her life. (smile) She declared that she has made life long friends and that she doesn't want the camp to end. She has also concluded that she HAS to go to Africa. (That means she HAS to figure out how to pay for it too!). The icing on the cake was her comment, "I think I owe you a thank you" .

Case closed! Happiness rules. I know life will be forever changed for her (and for me too). And you just gotta love the whole concept of Free the Children ---- ME to WE -- the generation we have been waiting for. We have a generation of global citizens.

Suddenly, I feel that old familiar optimism rising within and I know that all will be well with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment