Thursday, February 12, 2009

Girl Talk

Today was one of those "headbanger" days at work - you know, the kind of day where offbeat humour escalating to sheer giddiness is the only salvation of sanity. Lots of rolling eyes, heavy sighs then sudden bursts of (nervous) laughter ...

It was like I wore an invisible shield today (remember Maxwell Smart had that clear dome that would drop down from the ceiling to create a completely private space?). It's as though negative remarks were bouncing off me with little or no effort. Nothing could spoil my day (not that anyone was trying to ... I am surrounded by happy, funny coworkers). Maybe part of it was that I knew I was meeting my 2 amigos after work for dinner wine. REMEDY AND RELIEF! We make a gruesome threesome! For almost 22 years we have been meeting for dinner every 4-6 weeks, not to mention sharing trials, tribulations and travels. Years of girl talk!

Tonight we munched on crunchy coconut shrimp, nacho chips and E and I split a steaming plate of fajitas. S satisfied her craving for a juicy burger, warning us that she was starving when she saw us staking claim to her fries. We chattered about our day, exchanged family updates, threw in a couple of "whatever happened to ..." stole a few of S's fries (who wasn't as hungry as she thought), and talked about what we may plan for our next milestone birthday getaway.

As I walked to my car I marvelled at this exceptional circle of people I have accompanying me on this journey of a life. My tummy was full and my heart overflowing.

And better yet, I get to do it again next week when I meet my dear friend of 37 years, J for dinner and more girl talk. Blessed am I!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such a fun night, I love when I'm able to just hang out with my girls and catch up over coffee or a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete