Saturday, July 4, 2009

Almost Home

Apparently we have alot of Americans in our neighbourhood 'cause as I write this, I can hear the sounds of fireworks going off. Happy 4th of July to our U.S. friends.

Kidlet has been away all week in Costa Rica with her dad and sister. I didn't hear a thing from her - no emails, call or Facebook posts - and it felt strange. I really missed her and so did Fritz ...

I thought of her as I washed and folded her laundry. I thought of her when I dragged her hockey bag into the basement and sprayed it lovingly with Fabreeze. The house echoed with her absence. Her shoes at the front door looked as lonely as I felt.

Her flight gets in late tonight so I probably won't see her until tomorrow, and my other daughter lives in the city so it will likely be a few weeks before I see her. Catching up on the phone will have to do.

They had a unique opportunity to share a Costa Rican jungle experience with their father and one another. I know I have come to appreciate every opportunity to be all together with my girls because as they grow into their own lives, it is harder to make that happen.

I can't wait for tomorrow when that lanky Amazon daughter of mine barges through the door with her gazillion backpacks and bags and declares, Pura Vida!

2 comments:

  1. I am happy for you thinking about your daughter being home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case I haven't told you-I simply enjoy your writing. I find myself getting lost in your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete