Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gifts From a Year


When I started writing this blog, I had hoped to reflect on each day and find the gifts therein. I mean, each day of life is a precious gift unto itself, and a day worth living must hold a take away - a lesson, an opportunity, an emotion ... something. I started off half heartedly but by last December I stepped it up and challenged myself to write - every day. And it was the best gift I could ever have given myself. I managed 345 posts. I vowed that no matter what else was going on in my life, writing would not be the thing that would be short changed. For the first time ever, I made it - me - a priority. And I am reaping the fruits of my labour of love.

This past year I have lived more mindfully, consciously ... seeking out the gifts in each day. Writing has given me a sense of freedom to explore and excavate my ideas and thoughts on issues - to express the deepest part of myself. I have learned much about myself - from myself.  Through my reflections and explorations I have learned what is important to me as well as what and who can bring meaning to my life.

I made my camera my constant companion, carrying it with me at all times. I noted and captured the colour and textures in everything around me and found beauty in the ordinary.

I lived more fully, in every moment and the most important thing I learned ... I write about that which I need most to learn, know and practice.

So 2009 was the year in which I gave myself the gift and luxury of daily writing and through that, I have learned more than I could have ever imagined. I will remember 2009 as the year I set my creative self free.

And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Post Note: I know from reading your blogs that many of you have suffered great pain, struggles and upheaval  this past year, and my heart goes out to each one of you. I am a firm believer that it is always darkest before the dawn and that the law of nature dictates that change is inevitable. So as I raise my chipped champagne flute filled with flat white wine, I toast that the winds of change and a new year will usher in hope and a peace and that there will be better times ahead. Thank you to all of you who have been a part of my year of self discovery and offered thoughtful words of encouragement and kindness. I could feel the heartbeat of humankind and universal love. Happy New Year! Let's affirm that 2010 will be a very good year.

5 comments:

  1. I may not have known you long Lyn, but you have become an important part of my blog world connections. I love coming here to read your words. And value what you say to me.
    So I will raise my glass of milk I'm just about to go and have (on way to bed to avoid midnight!) and wish you a wonderfully and blessed New Year.
    love
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I so hope we all have a great 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, made my heart glad. And, I can completely relate to how writing opens you up to learn from yourself the lessons that life desires to teach you.

    Much love as you open yourself up to 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lyn, You are inspiring me as well. Happiest of 2010 to you!
    cuz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll toast to that! I have enjoyed reading your post and look forward to what 2010 brings.

    ReplyDelete