Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Squishing the Hum Bug

The hum is all around me
Everywhere it seems – at work, in the stores, and on the street that I live.
Everywhere - but home.

It’s quiet here; there is no hum;
Everyone has gone – my mother, my loved one, my friend – passed or just moved on.
No one here – but me.

The holiday hum is getting louder
Someone is reaching out – a card, a hug and love – turkey with the clan
A Christmas wish – come true.

We all know that the holidays can be the best of times and the worst of times for those who are experiencing sadness, loss, upheaval or loneliness. The very best gift we can give is of ourselves – giving our time, and sharing our love and expressions of kindness and gratitude.

And it doesn’t have to cost a cent, shilling, peso, franc, mark, or rupee. Let's squish the hum bug!

3 comments:

  1. How very true this is. I've just this second left a comment with The Weaver Of Grass, who asked for the best present we'd ever received, and given. After long consideration, my first answer was my grown up daughter saying she had no memories of ever being bored as a child, as I always came up with the goods, and my second answer - 'My Last Rolo', in a very fancy package, which I gave to the love of my life...There was an ad campaign at the time which said 'Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?' I think both of these fit with the spirit of your post very well, wouldn't you say? Love is always the best present, to give or receive...I send you some now, complete with glitter dust! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the holidays can be so difficult...missing loved ones...Giving to others helps me get past wallowing in the grief over those lost...thank you for encouraging me to keep at it!!! Love your outlook on life!!! Hugs, Janine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm squishing I'm squishing!
    ((((((( Lyn)))))))
    xx

    ReplyDelete