Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Processing

So it is a week now since we returned from Kenya and in some ways it feels so much longer. Something as huge as this -- somehow feels like I dreamed the experience rather than lived it. My duffel bag lay opened in the laundry room - cold hard evidence. It has been emptied of laundry but not quite empty enough to put back into storage. I stare intently at the images I captured; faces and places that I am sure will be emblazoned in my memory for years to come. I smile at each memory that is triggered. My stack of travel "paperwork" remains piled on the dining room table with my passport. I should really deal with this stuff but a part of me doesn't want it to be over.

I am distracted. Ideas on how to integrate this experience into my life ping pong around my brain colliding with the order of the day - work deadlines, birthdays, laundry, grocery shopping, my dad's book.

I am sure it will sort itself out. One thing I know for sure -- Kenya heightened feelings, opinions, and passions that I already had and I feel as though I have received the biggest gift imaginable. And better yet, I got to share it with Kidlet.

PS I will spare you all from further meanderings about my trip and save them for our trip blog: Africa Calling.

2 comments:

  1. I have always found it hard to reconcile my life after such mind-altering trips such as you've had. I always have this feeling of wanting to burst, of sharing too much, of feeling so completely impacted that I can't believe people don't realize how I've changed. It usually passes after a while, but it's such a strange feeling. So I empathize with you and feel you are lucky to have shared the experience with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got so much out of your trip. From what I've read on your Africa blog and here, you had a great time. It's amazing how some places have the power to so deeply effect us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete