Thursday, April 14, 2011

Give a Little Shelter

I am a huge believer in giving a hand up as opposed to a handout. But there are times when people need their basic needs met to enable them to pursue an independent life and the dreams they have for themselves, or even to survive. We've all seen them - stretched out, sleeping beside buildings swaddled in whatever clothing they own; walking aimlessly as they push a cart laden with their life's belongings; people with no where to call home but the streets.

This week I donated to Everyone Deserves A Roof (EDAR), an organization that provides mobile shelters to homeless men, women and children. The unit looks like and serves as a cart during the day and converts to a tent-like structure for sleeping. Ingenious! Doesn't everyone deserve shelter and some basic privacy?
Thanks Harmony for the suggestion. Share your favourite causes with me and I'll consider donating.

Read about my Thursday's Give a Little Challenge. I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Give it a read.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about this one! What an excellent idea:) I'll look it up too.
    cuz

    ReplyDelete