Sunday, May 15, 2011

Give a Little and Pay it Forward

Pay it forward; hand up - not out; empower. That's pretty much it in a nutshell for Heifer International. If you haven't heard of them, you have to  Google them or go to the website. The story of how this organization got started is fascinating, and the concept is simple and effective. Heifer collects donations and pays them forward to communities in developing nations in the way of livestock and the education needed to farm and care for the animals. They provide the tools necessary to help people lift themselves out of poverty by learning how to cultivate a business that will sustain them and their communities. Heifer asks that the recipients of these gifts pay it forward; the first born offspring of the donated animals (cows, goats, chickens, pigs) are "paid forward" to someone else in the community that they may also benefit.

I am behind in posting my Thursday "give a little" thanks to Blogger's technical difficulties. But it did not deter! I am in week  10 and to my surprise, I haven't felt so much as a twinge of discomfort, sacrifice or anything but gratitude. I am giving more than I planned and I can feel my capacity and desire to share growing exponentially.  The hidden gift of giving. 

If you have a cause that is near and dear to your heart, share it with me. The weeks roll around quickly and I am always up for inspiration!

Read about my Thursday's Give a Little Challenge. I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment