Sunday, August 21, 2011

Telescoping Autumn

I cringe in denial at about what I am about to write ... the signs are there; the transition has begun; autumn is in the air. This weekend at the lake, I saw the first hints of fall. The heat of the day gave way easily to cool evenings and even cooler nights - just perfect for sleeping. When I stood on our deck overlooking the still waters of the lake, I could smell autumn. The white birches were already shedding their yellowed leaves like tears on the dock.  I am not ready to let go of summer. It passed all too quickly. But it has been exceptional to spend so much time immersed in nature, decompressing away from the city.

So I will be sure to enjoy our next few weekends of summer and fit all the swimming in that I can. Soon I will retire my bathing suit  and trade tank tops in for fleece, flip flops will give way to rubber boots and our fireplace will get a real work out. The maples will turn crimson and gold and the forest will be stripped barren except for a lush carpet of dropped leaves.

But I am getting ahead of myself. What happened to living in the present? Summer, spring or fall, I love the changes and variety of each season. Yup, it's all good!

The evidence as follows:

inner secrets

campfire remnant
 
It's started
 
Signs of aging


Thanks MIH

No comments:

Post a Comment