Monday, December 31, 2012

Teetering on 2013

It's minutes away until 2013, waiting in the wings, will make its grandiose entrance. But not before I see 2012 to the door and give it a proper send off. I am after all, a gracious host.

2012, you were good to me, and I am a little sad to see you go. You took me on travelling adventures to the other side of Canada, and to the other side the world. I climbed the Great Wall of China, and strolled the courtyards of the Forbidden Palace with my beloved.

You served up life milestones of epic proportion. I sat by the bedside of a grand old lady as she took her last breath. I watched my daughter walk a path in a forest cathedral to wed her husband, and danced with the tribe in celebration. I shared a summer of bliss with my hubby at our cottage retreat, and witnessed a pair golden eagles soar above our dock.  I met our new neighbours who bought the vacant lot adjacent to ours. We said a sad farewell to hubby's ailing grandmother. I helped nurture our beloved Doris in her time of transition. And through it all, you provided space and opportunity for our families to gather - in joy, grief, and for comfort.

And today, on this final day of 2012, we squeezed in as much precious joy as we could: we strolled our waterfront inhaling the crystalline beauty of the frozen shoreline, feasting our eyes on the sparkles and bobbles of soon-to-be retired Christmas ornaments. We filled our kitchen with delicious aromas of  prime rib and sweet potatoes and apples roasting in the oven. We shared our final meal of the year with my dad and his wife, Mama T, and our beloved Doris. We raised our glassed and toasted the year that was, and the year that will be.

All in all, it's been a good one, and for that I am eternally grateful.  S'long 2012 -- I will never forget you.

And welcome 2013... can't wait to see what  you have in store for us all. I wish you all a very happy new year filled with blessings and adventure.

Some scenes from our stroll today as we teetered on 2013.










No comments:

Post a Comment