Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Music Plays On


Legendary folk singer/activist Pete Seeger passed over from this world today to join the celestial choir  of the universe. It saddened me but knowing that he lived out his ninety-four years so fully let sadness give way to gratitude.

The list of the songs he wrote and performed reads like a playlist of my life... songs woven in and amongst the mundane and the monumental. Goodnight Irene was one of first songs I learned to play on my guitar; We Shall Overcome was an anthem at our student protests back in the day when my classmates and I were "small c" communists; and Turn, Turn and Where Have All the Flowers Gone? were favourites at the sing-songs we used to end our famjams with, back in the day before our leading vocalists became angels.
"We all go to different churches or no churches, we have different favorite foods, different ways of making love, different ways of doing all sorts of things, but there we’re all singing together. Gives you hope.”   
- Pete Seeger
Thank you Pete Seeger for the joy and passion you inspired with your music, and for leaving this world better for having you in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment