Saturday, November 21, 2009

Global Family

Yesterday when I got home from work I had not one - but two wonderful surprises waiting for me. I finally got word that I have been matched with a sister in the Women for Women sponsorship program. I applied over a month ago and have been anxiously waiting to get started. My application coincided with an appearance of the founder on Oprah - which translated into a huge interest in the program. I still haven't received the particulars but I feel good knowing that things are progressing.

The icing on the cake was the letter I received from the family of my new sponsored child, Genesis,  from Plan. The letter was written in Spanish and enclosed in an envelope they had crafted from a sheet of paper, bound with masking tape. Along with the rumpled photo of a cherub faced, dark eyed toddler, they enclosed a small white crocheted hat with Honduras etched in red pencil. They wrote that they hope I will think of them every time I look at it. I knew instantly that it would have a place on my Christmas tree this year ... and I will think of them.

It is no coincidence that I received these two reminders on the same day ... they were gentle nudges from the universe reminding me that there is great need in the world and that it takes so little to share, to make a big impact. It's true what they say about giving ... you get back more than you give.

You may be interested in my previous posts:

1 comment:

  1. wow...its nice to know that the mailbox can still hold good news.

    ReplyDelete