Friday, April 9, 2010

Good Read

Kidlet is playing her final provincial championship hockey games this weekend. The weather chimed in to create an appropriate environment by dropping the temp to just 2 degrees Celsius and throwing in some blustery winds for good measure.

Arena time involves lots of pre-game waiting - sitting - drinking hot drinks. I grabbed a book from my "must read" pile as I headed out this morning to help fill the down time. My random reading pick ended up being Give a Little, How our small donations can transform our world, by Wendy Smith - and I can't put it down! It describes the cumulative power of the affordable donations made by everyday citizens and how they can change the world. The author suggests ways to choose charities and non profits that will help your donation dollar have the greatest impact possible. I was happy to see some of my favourite causes and agencies listed.

The book reads somewhat like a textbook with its source citations and charts but I found myself hungrily devouring every page and factoid. I feel as though  I am getting clarity around purpose and giving back. Most of all, I found inspiration between the pages - inspiration to dig deeper; give more consicously. I can feel the winds of growth blowing gently on my neck and my heart quickens at the excitement of it all. Life is good - and if you allow it to be - an incredible journey of self actualization.
Life is not in having and getting,
but in being and becoming.
- Matthew Arnold

Note: Off to bed. We are due at the arena by 6:30 tomorrow morning. Good thing I am a morning person. Now only if Kidlet was ...

5 comments:

  1. Have a great (warm) time tomorrow! That cold sounds wonderful to me. And the book does too. If only everyone were like you Lyn. You are a concencious, giving soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! Hope that the hockey went well, enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing.

    You're such a conscious spirit. Always a pleasure stopping by here.

    one love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Are we ever on the same wavelength! This book sounds like a terrific one... What a great read! I'm going to keep an eye out for that one. You are such an inspiring lady! Love you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyn! So glad you found inspiration in the book! Consider joining us on the book's facebook fan page - we're spreading the word that everyday citizens are today's most important philanthropists!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Give-a-Little/175362537797?ref=ss

    ReplyDelete