Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I Forgot

I was on point this morning - ready at the computer for my next writing prompt with my daughter. She answered sheepishly, "I'm running late Mom. Give me a few minutes."

I thought I would putter while I waited: 

Late
This, that, the other. Don’t forget. Where is that… What did you say? Don’t forget.
Rush, frenzy, discombobulation.
Remember.
Don’t forget.

Then she called to tell me today's writing prompt is "I forgot". I laughed. There are no coincidences. We're connected. Then I "shushed" the dog one more time and hit the keyboard.

I forgot

What? I just forgot. I can’t remember what I forgot, but I know that I forgot.

My dreams are filled with me forgetting… 

forgetting to get my grad gown for high school commencement

forgetting to invite my family to my wedding

forgetting to wear pants to my first day on the job

But those were just dreams.

We were dying to get out of our apartment, take in a movie.

We said “why not? My gut told me there was a reason.

We threw on coats. We locked door and headed down the hall laughing, happy, light.

The elevator opened and we got in. My apprehension followed close behind.

The doors closed.

Then I remembered what I forgot.

We have a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment