Monday, March 8, 2021

Water

 


"Do you want to do some writing with me, Mom?" she asked. "Only ten minutes a day... with a writing prompt".

It's been a long time since I've properly exercised this writing muscle of mine so I was eager to accept, and just a little intimidated. Daughter is a gifted writer but the rules say that at the end of the ten minutes we read our writing to one another - and listen without judgement and comment. Of course I couldn't contain myself and burst out a compliment when she finished... 

She called me just before seven and stayed on the line as we wrote for ten minutes. Writing in harmony. I think I'm going to like this new ritual.

And now I am renewing my commitment to writing, just a little, if not daily, then as often as I can. 

Today's prompt was "water".

Water

Slipping down my cheek.
Bubbling, welling, until there is no other option but to release and roll.

Pelting waves down my back.
Soothing, scalding ribbons of bliss to awaken me to a new day.

Rhythmic tapping on the roof.
Staccato pellets of comfort reminding me how warm and safe I am.

Washing over with every plunge.
Immersing and then surrendering back to the surface with every stroke.

It draws me in and pulls me closer.
The ebbs and flows inviting, teasing, reminding me that the sea is a part of me.

My place of peace.
The river hears me without judgement. It harbours my secrets and welcomes me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment